Spain Working Holiday Visa

A Spain Working Holiday visa is a permit to work in Spain while there on holiday here. It is available only for the youngsters of a few world countries, for a maximal period of one year without the possibility of renewal or extension.

The main criteria to apply for a visa for seasonal employment in Spain, you must prove you meet the following criteria:

  • You have not participated in this program before.
  • The main purpose of your trip is vacationing in Spain, and working is your secondary intent.
  • The initial job you will be doing in Spain cannot be filled by a Spaniard.
  • You have obtained the necessary work permit (NIE).
  • You will not be working for a period exceeding six months.
  • You will not work for the same employer for more than three months.
  • Your initial employer meets the conditions for hiring foreign workers for holiday employment.
  • You have suitable accommodation in Spain.
  • Your travel costs are covered.
  • You will return to your home country after the seasonal contract ends.

What Can I Do with a Spanish Holiday Visa?

You can engage in the following activities with a Spanish Working-Holiday visa:

  • language teacher.
  • waiter.
  • receptionist.
  • barista.
  • model.
  • cook.
  • kitchen assistant.
  • other jobs in the service industry.
  • other jobs in the tourism industry.
  • jobs in information technology.

Who Can Apply for a Spain Working Holiday Visa?

Spain has a working holiday agreement with only a few world countries. Only the following are qualified to apply for this visa:

  • Citizens of Australia aged 18 to 30.
  • Citizens of Canada aged 18 to 35, due to the “Youth Mobility Program” agreement signed between both countries. Note that the annual visa acceptance quota for this program is 1000.
  • Citizens of Japan aged 18 to 30.
  • Citizens of South Korea aged 18 to 30
  • Citizens of New Zealand aged 18 to 30.

If you are a national of one of the long-stay visa exempt countries, you can freely move to Spain and undertake a job related to seasonal employment, without this visa. Check the list of the Spanish long-stay visa exempt nationals.

How to Apply for a Spain Working Holiday Visa?

You will need to apply for a Spanish Working Holiday Visa from your home country.  Check if there is a Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country and how this authority has regulated visa submission. Depending on that, you may need to submit your application at the:

  • Spanish embassy.
  • Spanish consulate.
  • A third-party visa service center, to which Spain has outsourced visa submission.

You are also highly advised to ask to contact the Spanish authorities and ask them when the best time to lodge an application is. As visa processing sometimes takes several months, you should be prepared to apply in advance.

Get a Seasonal Job in Spain

The first step that you need to undertake in order to apply for a Spanish Seasonal Visa is to get a job in Spain. You can find a job online or through an employment agency.

Once you come up with an agreement with your employer, ask them to provide you with the documents required from his/her side. You can start the application procedures in your home country.

Make a Visa Appointment with the Spanish Authorities

You cannot just walk at the consulate and lodge your application. You will need to make an appointment first. Call the Spanish consulate in your country, and make an appointment. They might ask you to complete a form online, for the appointment.

If so, do as required. Remember that the number of visas is limited to every country, and there are quite a lot of applications each year. Get informed for these things in advance, so when the application period opens, you may an appointment ASAP.

Collect the Required Documents for Holiday Working Visa

The required documents are the nucleus of your application. Everything revolves around them. That is why you should pay special attention to each of these documents and obtain them on time. If you miss even one document on the day you submit your application, chances are high that you will be rejected.

Find here the full list of the required documents for a Spanish Working Holiday Visa:

  • Standard Documents: This includes the completed visa application form, your valid passport, photos, and copies of previous visas and passports.
  • Return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase one.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means. at least 532.5 euros per month.
  • Police clearance certificate. A document that shows that your criminal record is clear and you have not involved in any criminal activities in the last five years.
  • Medical Certificate from your doctor issued in the last three months. The certificate must confirm that you are free of any disease that could seriously affect public health.
  • Medical insurance from a legal provider in Spain, which covers the whole period of your intended stay in Spain.
  • Proof that you have completed at least two years of higher education.
  • Proof that you have a basic knowledge of the Spanish language.
  • Letter of support from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
  • Foreigners’ Identification Number (NIE), also known as work authorization. It must be obtained before applying for your visa so you can present it alongside with the other documents.
  • A pre-arranged contract of employment, valid up to the authorized stay.

Attend the Visa Interview

On the day of your interview for a Spanish Working Holiday Visa, have all these documents in your application file. The visa interview is a short meeting with a consular interview. During this meeting, he or she will ask you question on your application, background and why you wish to work in Spain with a holiday visa.

If you have not traveled to the Schengen Area in the last five years you will also need to give your biometrics. The fee is usually paid on the same day.

Pay the Visa Fee

You will need to pay a particular fee for the processing of your visa. According to your nationality, the visa fees are as listed below:

  • Citizens of the United States need to pay a fee of €167
  • Citizens of Canada need to pay a fee of €100
  • Citizens of Japan, South Korean and New Zealand need to pay a fee of only €80.

After You Arrive in Spain

Note that once you get the visa that permits you to work while on a holiday in Spain, you are obliged to enter  Spain within 90 days issuance date.

Since you already have the NIE, the process to obtain the Foreigner’s Identity Card will be easier. You should apply for this card through the local Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or Police Station within 30 days of arrival in Spain.

How Long Can I Stay in Spain with a Working Holiday Visa?

The maximum period of authorized stay in Spain with a working holiday visa is one year.  Within this year the maximum employment period is six months, while you cannot work for more than three months for the same employer.

This visa cannot be extended or renewed.  Also, note that if you participate once in this program, you can no longer apply to participate again.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.